Author Topic: lighting/illumination howto?  (Read 5330 times)

Offline mogli

• byte
    • View Profile
lighting/illumination howto?
« on: April 12, 2006, 08:42:43 pm »
Hi!

I'm searching for a good lighting/illuminating tutorial.
i did not find the one that is suitable for rooms and worlds.

would be nice if someone how knows some good one could tell me.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 10:14:35 pm »
What do you mean exactly? How to create light maps, how to place vertex lights in a pleasing manner...what exactly should the tutorial be about?

Offline Melssj5

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 05:04:40 am »
Well, the lights are applied to the World object, you can set an Ambient Light to have all the map iluminated but this wont generate shadows because is the total light, to place certaing lights use addLight (SimpleVector Position, int r, int g, int b);
Nada por ahora

Offline mogli

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 09:38:21 am »
sry for my confusion.

i know how i use lights in jpct and i also know the different between the types of lights.

what i mean is a tutorial about who to place lights on the right positions in rooms/worlds to get effect of being in a real room/world.
something like rules about setting lights on right position in gamedsign.

now, i hope it's better to understand what i'm searching for. ;)

Offline Melssj5

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 02:21:24 pm »
Well, on a model I made of the restaurant fo my University, I placed the lights on the same place that the restaurant have it and looks good, placing the lights is a kind of a manual thing so, I was thinking on placing objects on the 3d desing of the map with certain names, so when loading the 3ds file if I found that object3D then just keeping the position to place a light there and dont add that object to the world, like identifiers.
Nada por ahora

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 05:59:19 pm »
Quote from: "mogli"
what i mean is a tutorial about who to place lights on the right positions in rooms/worlds to get effect of being in a real room/world.
something like rules about setting lights on right position in gamedsign.
No clue...i suck at placing lights too (as you can see in Paradroidz...  :wink: ). The only thing i've noticed is that you should avoid overkill. More is not always better. Limit yourself to more or less one light color per level/section. But that's all i can say...making it look good is damn hard.

Offline Melssj5

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 06:21:47 pm »
I also have noticed that using lights reduce the performance when watching the iluminated section, I guess because it must calculate te light trayectory or something!
Nada por ahora