Author Topic: Are JPCT going to be updated to meet the LWJGL V3.* ??  (Read 5104 times)

Offline Windmiller

• byte
    • View Profile
Are JPCT going to be updated to meet the LWJGL V3.* ??
« on: December 29, 2020, 03:36:10 pm »
Hi!

Is JPCT going to be updated to meet the LWJGL V3.X ??
Because some functions that the desktop version of JPCT is using have been lifted out of the LWJGL since V2.* like the Display (and other functions).

JPCT is not working because of the functions that were in LWJGL V2.X are not included anymore and have been changed into newer better ones, more efficient in LWJGL V3.X.

So my question is, are JPCT not going to continue to live?

Anybody?

Regards,

Morgan
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 03:44:27 pm by Windmiller »

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: Are JPCT going to be updated to meet the LWJGL V3.* ??
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 04:15:51 pm »
To be honest, I've no plans for doing this. I once looked into it and considered what you described as 'new and better' as an overcomplicated mess. LWJGL 2.x was simple in design. 3.x started to include everything that might even be remotely connected to game development and created a bloated mess IMHO. As long as 2.x still works on current operating systems, I feel no need to port it to 3.x. The LWJGL guys once stated that they were going to add something to make it more 2.x like for those who don't care about the details, but they never did as far as I know.

Edit: And the last time I checked, they had removed the AWT Canvas support without any replacement whatsoever.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 04:36:03 pm by EgonOlsen »

Offline Windmiller

• byte
    • View Profile
Re: Are JPCT going to be updated to meet the LWJGL V3.* ??
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 08:09:46 pm »
Hello

Ok, yes overcomplicated is the right word as I can recall it.
Then it will still live on for a great while, good to know.

Thanks

Regards, Morgan