Author Topic: Another Texture Problem  (Read 4909 times)

Offline Druid012

• byte
    • View Profile
Another Texture Problem
« on: July 07, 2006, 05:38:51 am »
I'm completely new to your engine and am working with the FPS demo that was supplied to learn about the engine and become more proficient with it. That being said, I've run into a texture problem while coding within the FPS demo. I downloaded a free version of 3ds Max from Autodesk so that I could edit the ql.3ds environment, the basic map of the 'game'.

I imported the file into the program and did some simple edit, such as adding a sphere into the middle of the map. I then exported it as a .3ds file and placed it into the 3ds folder. Finally, I replaced the old file with this new edited one and ran the 'game'. The game loaded fine and the sphere was where it was supposed to be, the issue was that none of the textures on the entire map loaded, so I was stuck in a maze of white.

I read another post on a similar problem, and tried that solution, but to no avail. I even tried editing nothing in the 3ds file and just importing and then exporting it again, with the same result. This means that 3ds Max is somehow detaching the texturing information from the objects themselves or something to that effect. I hope that someone out there can help me, and please try to keep it simple since I am completely new at this.

Thanx a ton,
    Druid012

Offline Melssj5

• double
    • View Profile
Another Texture Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 05:43:03 pm »
Yeah, it seems that 3ds max it importing the file without the textures. Nothing to do there. You can try to modify it on another software or even making your own map. Its also posible to place the textures again, but when imported as 3ds it loads as one only object.
Nada por ahora

Offline Druid012

• byte
    • View Profile
Another Texture Problem
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 09:18:04 pm »
Thanks for the tip.

So here's my next question. I was wondering what programs you can use to successfully edit the map, or anything that I would want to place in the game. I was also wondering if you can place textures into a map or object within 3ds max (or another editing program) and have them appear in the game and if so, how do I do that because I'm sure you have to have the file associations and placement correct.

Thanks a bunch
   Druid012

Offline raft

• quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.aptalkarga.com
Another Texture Problem
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 11:03:41 pm »
as i remember (i cant reach 3d max at the moment) 3d max converts all texture names to uppercase during export

have a look at console output of your application, if this is the case you should see jPCT warning you for adding non existing textures to texture manager (which are indeed uppercase versions of fps example)

if so, you can either convert all texture file names to upper case or find the code piece which adds textures to texture manager and convert names to uppercase there

hope this helps
Code: [Select]
r a f t

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Another Texture Problem
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 11:16:32 pm »
Quote from: "raft"
have a look at console output of your application, if this is the case you should see jPCT warning you for adding non existing textures to texture manager (which are indeed uppercase versions of fps example)
You'll see the names, but it's not a warning. For every texture name that can't be found by the TextureManager a texture with that name will be created with a dummy texture (i.e. all white). Anyway, looking at the console output should help to identify the needed texture names.

Offline Siggy

• byte
    • View Profile
We appreciate your replies =)!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 02:47:51 am »
Thank you to everyone who replied to me and Druid012's posts.  We have been working together on creating a fully functional FPS game using JPCT and are really excited as this is our first experience with 3D programming. After some testing we were able to get the level to display correctly with the right textures.  

Because this is our first venture into 3D with Java we were contemplating many different engines and editors but after the help we have recieved here in this forum we have decided to stick with JPCT and we appreciate all the help we have recieved so far.

There are probably many more Q's to come =)!

Newayz
Thanks Aton!
-----------------------------------Problem Solved------------------------------------