Author Topic: map to 3ds  (Read 16732 times)

Barrah Switzer

map to 3ds
« on: September 22, 2003, 06:51:12 am »
I've been playing with the idea of useing jpct to write something like a FPS, not exactly but similar.  What I was wondering is this.  I have a leve I have been working on, in .map format (HL actually).   I have a conversion program that says it will convert it to 3ds.  Once it's converted I should be able to load it as a 3ds object???  Then is it just  a matter of collosion detection and controlling the camera??

Any help would be great!!

Thanks............

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: map to 3ds
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2003, 06:16:35 pm »
Quote from: "Barrah Switzer"
I have a conversion program that says it will convert it to 3ds.  Once it's converted I should be able to load it as a 3ds object???  Then is it just  a matter of collosion detection and controlling the camera??
Basically yes! I'm currently writing some example code that shows how to start (the collision detection isn't perfect in this example and you can't shot anything, but anyway...).
I've uploaded a demo of it here (still without sources, but they'll follow once it's finished):
http://www.jpct.net/download/fpsdemo.zip
Controls go like this:
Code: [Select]

Commandline parameters:

width=xxx  : The width of the framebuffer
height=xxx : The height of the framebuffer
fullscreen : Force the engine to use fullscreen modes
16bit      : Try to get a videomode with 16bit color (instead of 32)

Controls:

cursor-keys : Moving around
PGUP/PGDWN  : Looking up/down
ESC         : Exit
x           : Switch between Software/LWJGL mode (may have some problems in fullscreen mode!)

BTW: I'm very interested in the HL->3DS converter (the level i'm using for the demo has been converted from Q3 format), because i was always looking for such thing but couldn't find anything good (that worked!).

Hope this helps.

Barrah Switzer

Conversion
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2003, 06:43:04 pm »
it's called 3d exploration, it's about 2 years old.  I downloaded it from some guys web page.   I found out later that it has become 'Deep Exploration' .   Which is a commercial product.    I don't know if the version I have is a freeware/shareware, a crack or what.   I haven't tried it yet, but I will in the next couple of days.  I'll let you know how it works.

If you could post the source to your FPS demo, that would be great.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
Re: Conversion
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2003, 06:53:32 pm »
it's called 3d exploration, it's about 2 years old.  I downloaded it from some guys web page.   I found out later that it has become 'Deep Exploration' .   Which is a commercial product.    I don't know if the version I have is a freeware/shareware, a crack or what.   I haven't tried it yet, but I will in the next couple of days.  I'll let you know how it works.
Deep Exploration can load Half-Life maps?  :shock:
I know that it can load Half-Life models but i'm unsure about the map-format itself...
Too bad that i don't have any Half-Life maps ATM to try that, because i do own Deep Exploration (but only 2.0...3.0 is current). It's a GREAT tool...i just love it.

Barrah Switzer

conversion
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2003, 07:08:13 pm »
So how did you convert the Quake3 map??   deep exploration or some other way??

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
Re: conversion
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2003, 07:15:11 pm »
So how did you convert the Quake3 map??   deep exploration or some other way??
There's a converter for Q3 to VRML, which i used to convert the geometry. I unzipped the textures from the *.pk3 and converted them with Deep Exploration into JPGs. I then loaded the VRML-file of the level into DE (with the textures in the same dir so that it could use them). I then exported it into *.rh (don't know what exactly this is), because it can include the textures into the file and replaces the names with "levelname"x...Finally, i loaded this file and exported it to 3DS-format (including the textures). Why the *rh-step you may ask...well, 3DS can only store 12 chars for naming a material's texture but DE doesn't export the textures that way, i.e. you'll end up with a 3DS-file with a material pointing to "blahblah_is_" but the actual filename is still "blahblah_is_a_great_thing.jpg"...to save me from renaming bazillions of files by hand or writing a program to do this, i added the *.rh step... :wink:

Barrah Switzer

FPS demo
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2003, 09:23:02 am »
It looked good, but was running a little slow, so I thought I would try the x command to switch renderers.  Got the following:

Java version is: 1.1.4
-> no support for BufferedImage
-> using MemoryImageSource
Software renderer (legacy mode) initialized
Software renderer disposed
Software renderer (OpenGL mode) initialized
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/lwjgl/Display
        at com/threed/jpct/GLRenderer.init
        at com/threed/jpct/FrameBuffer.enableRenderer
        at JPCTDemo.switchOptions
        at JPCTDemo.gameLoop
        at JPCTDemo.run
        at java/lang/Thread.run

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
map to 3ds
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2003, 04:00:43 pm »
That's a normal behaviour for the Java version you were using (1.1.4). I assume that you started the demo using the "run_jview.bat" which will use the Microsoft-VM to run the demo. OpenGL via LWJGL requires 1.4.0 or higher to work. Try to run the "run_java.bat" instead and it should work if you have 1.4+ installed and LWJGL likes your graphics card. :wink:.

barrah Switzer

fps src????
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2003, 10:04:15 pm »
Any chance of you posting the src for the fps demo???????  That would be very helpful........

Thanks!

Barrah Switzer

Couple of more questions?????
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2003, 06:32:30 am »
I got the following running the run_java.bat file.  Does it start out in software or open_gl.  When I press x I get the following output.

Software renderer (legacy mode) initialized
Software renderer (OpenGL mode) initialized
Current mode:800 x 600 x 16 @85Hz
[ Wed Sep 24 23:28:51 CDT 2003 ] - ERROR: Can't set videomode - try different se
ttings!
Software-renderer disabled!
No window
java.lang.Exception: The keyboard could not be created.
        at org.lwjgl.input.Keyboard.create(Unknown Source)
        at JPCTDemo.switchOptions(Unknown Source)
        at JPCTDemo.gameLoop(Unknown Source)
        at JPCTDemo.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

I can run the terrain demo in open_gl mode no problem.   Any comments????

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
map to 3ds
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2003, 08:16:08 am »
The display mode selection of this demo is very basic to keep the code simple, so i just barks when it can't find one instead of trying another one.  Maybe your cards can't do the requested 800*600*16*24 in OpenGL for whatever reason. Or try fullscreen with "refresh=0" instead. Which card are you using?
I've uploaded a new version that should be a bit faster and supports some more command line switches.
Anyway, here's an overview of the switches it supports:

-fullscreen
-mipmap
-trilinear
-16bit
-width=xxx
-heigth=yyy
-refresh=rrr
-zbuffer=zzz

I hope it's possible to find a mode that works by combining those switches.

I'm still working on the sources...the collision detection is driving me nuts... :?

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
map to 3ds
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2003, 10:46:47 pm »
0.94 of the API has been released and it includes the sources for the fps-demo. Collision detection still isn't 100% perfect though.

Barrah Switzer

Thanks ...........
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2003, 03:02:42 pm »
.. :D