Author Topic: Hey guys, new to the community.  (Read 8766 times)

Offline AcidBurnz

• byte
    • View Profile
Hey guys, new to the community.
« on: December 21, 2007, 02:06:41 am »
I'm 17 years old, been programming in a Pascal derivative for the past 3 years. I'm planning on going to university for E.Engineering here in Toronto. Recently, I've gotten into Java and the prospect of programming a 3d game really interests me. After doing some extensive research on various 'engines' I could use for my endeavor into 3d, jPct seems perfect. Any doubts were confirmed when i noticed how nice the community is. I look forward to learning a lot, and will post my progress.

I have extensive experience in managing game projects and will be looking forward to finally getting away from managing 40+ developers and actually get down and dirty myself with a project. Luckily I have art assets at my disposal from the game project which is now dormant (http://www.mechnet.uwstudios.com).

Anywho, just thought I should say hi, and thanks to EgonOlsen for such an awesome contribution to java developers. Toodles.

Offline JavaMan

• long
    • View Profile
Re: Hey guys, new to the community.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 08:27:28 pm »
I'm a teenager too, and I really like jpct. I am planning using it to make a Bible search program. How in the world did you get the opportunity to manage 40+ people? I don't think I could do it ( I'm a little independent ) but I sure sounds exciting.!!

Offline AcidBurnz

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 11:45:20 pm »
I'm a teenager too, and I really like jpct. I am planning using it to make a Bible search program. How in the world did you get the opportunity to manage 40+ people? I don't think I could do it ( I'm a little independent ) but I sure sounds exciting.!!

Hah, it was exciting at first and turned into a nightmare. Volunteer artists are the MOST flaky people I've ever met.  :-X

Offline raft

• quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.aptalkarga.com
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 04:15:59 am »
Volunteer artists are the MOST flaky people I've ever met.  :-X

+1  ::)

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 08:52:59 pm »
That's why i paid for the models that i was using in Paradroidz (R.I.P.). The problem with this volunteer based approach is IMHO, that there is a lot of talking going on but very few people actually get things done.

Kearnan

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 02:16:09 am »
Well, this isn’t so much about JPCT but since you’ve touched on something I am very experienced with…off the top of my head and...

...in defense of volunteers…

Regarding volunteers:  I’ve spent a great deal of time as a volunteer and I’ve managed volunteers in a broad range of aspects for years.  Not only volunteers, but also limited time contract workers who have a great deal in common with volunteers: they are either only required for a short period of time and/or they are only required for a limited scope of an existing project.  They both, however, require the same technique of management.

Project Management: The Director

Volunteers and contract workers need specific and achievable short-term goals to feel like they are contributing to the project in a worthwhile manner.  Specific and achievable goals not only allow the project manager to easily keep track of a participant’s progress, they offer the worker a scale to measure their own progress and worth to the project.  If any employee feels his work is either worthwhile or appreciated, he’ll work with enthusiasm.

Specific and achievable goals also make the project manager work a little harder but hey, that’s what the job is.  A project manager is the “Director”, he needs to keep in mind the “vision” the ultimate goal/reality that is being created and communicate that clearly to participants.

Without specific and achievable goals they tend to give up and go work for a discount store or do database programming. (eep)

AcidBurnz welcome

And to AcidBurnz, welcome to the community.  JPCT is remarkable in it's scope and application ability.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 10:48:26 am by Kearnan »