Author Topic: Size of jPCT apps  (Read 2803 times)

Offline AW999

• int
    • View Profile
Size of jPCT apps
« on: June 24, 2010, 09:39:43 pm »

How large is the jPCT code within the jar file for an application?   Is there any way to reduce the size?

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: Size of jPCT apps
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 10:25:08 pm »
It's as large as the jar is...around 280kb or something. It's already pretty condensed. There are tools out there that can compress class files by optimizing some things...don't know exactly what. I've tried a few of them some years ago but the results didn't let me go crazy about the savings. Sometimes, the "optimized" jar file didn't even work...

Offline AW999

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 10:58:19 pm »
Is there any way to store a webstart Java app on a file service (as is routinely done for other software) and still have it start as normal from my website?  Or does the app have to be stored on my website's server?

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 11:20:22 pm »
Just try it. If you are giving absolute paths in the jnlp to the file storage, i think that this will work. I'm not 100% sure though. Might be blocked a security-oh-my-god-we-all-going-to-die-thingy...

Offline AW999

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 12:44:30 am »
Just try it. If you are giving absolute paths in the jnlp to the file storage, i think that this will work. I'm not 100% sure though. Might be blocked a security-oh-my-god-we-all-going-to-die-thingy...

Sourceforge allows webstart apps to be initiated from their site itself, but apparently Sourceforge is only for open source projects, correct? 
  Is there another option for software which isn't open source?  Mediafire.com ?