Author Topic: Realistic Water Translations?  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Minigame

• int
    • View Profile
Realistic Water Translations?
« on: December 02, 2014, 07:12:19 am »
I want some type of "realistic water flow".. Is this possible with jPCT? If so, where do I even begin. I've never done anything like it before.

Example:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 06:48:51 pm by corey »

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: Realistic Water Translations?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 07:07:13 pm »
What exactly is the water supposed to be? A bunch or particles or a deforming mesh or...?

Offline AGP

• quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 08:53:13 pm »
The short answer is that it's possible, but you have to implement it yourself. I would think that it would either be a particle system (shouldn't be too hard but you never know) or a shader (I wouldn't even know where to start).

Offline Minigame

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 01:10:57 am »
Do you know how MineCraft water moves? That's the best way I can explain. I'm not looking for particles like splashing, but more so a system which a pool of water can be distributed outwards if there is a downward area it can flow towards.

Edit: Deforming a mesh I suppose? I really don't have a clue where to start with this  :-X

Offline AGP

• quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 04:27:26 am »
A VertexController?

Offline AGP

• quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 05:57:05 am »
If you really wanted to distort the model, I think that the VertexController would be the way to go. But I do think that a particle system (not for splashes, either, but for the drops of water themselves) is what you want here. I think that at least one of the Where's My Water games very visibly shows something the sort but I don't remember, to be honest).