Author Topic: Thinking about some RPG..Android version.  (Read 245599 times)

Offline Hrolf

• int
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about some RPG..Android version.
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2012, 09:55:39 pm »
Looking very nice! Do you think I should flatten the top of the torch though? It'd make the flames more visible and save a few polys...

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2012, 10:01:43 pm »
I like it the way it is. The flames look better in motion anyway (just like the smoke...you can barely see it in screen shots).

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2012, 04:20:48 am »
Nice texturing on the torch.  Looks great.
click here->Fireside 7 Games<-

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2012, 11:26:49 pm »
Got it working on the phone. The performance is somewhere around 30-40 fps, which is better than i expected. I tweaked the shader a little bit, because it was doing calculations in the fragment shader that could be done in the vertex shader as well.

In game, i can now enter dungeons and exit them again to the wilderness. But for now, it doesn't matter which entrance i take, i'll always end up in the same dungeon... ;)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:15:21 am by EgonOlsen »

Offline Hrolf

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2012, 02:55:23 am »
That does look proper! I think you need some litter though, bones or dirt or something... It looks a bit 'clean'.
If you gave me the floor and wall textures I could try to do you a low-poly drift of dirt to help break up the line where the walls meet the floor? A pile of dirt against the wall under the torch would help to mask out that harsh join.

Offline Thomas.

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2012, 12:23:22 pm »
Performance is really good, I expected much less frames :) and looking of dungeon is very, very nice ;) Try this texture for bow, it could look better IMHO and if fireside send me bow in another file format (something is wrong in importing to 3Ds max) I will look at UVs and merge skin and wood1 textures in to one.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 01:33:47 pm by Thomas. »

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2012, 02:55:05 pm »
@Hrolf: Here you go: http://jpct.de/download/tmp/dungeon_textures.7z

@Thomas.: I've replaced the texture. It looks better, but it loses some detail because i'm only using 64*64 for the bow.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2012, 02:56:54 pm »
Performance is really good, I expected much less frames :)
Me too, especially because it's all tile-based, i.e. there's not one large dungeon object but the whole things is created out of basic building blocks at runtime.

Offline Thomas.

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2012, 03:22:58 pm »
@Thomas.: I've replaced the texture. It looks better, but it loses some detail because i'm only using 64*64 for the bow.

I need model for better texture. Model that is in this thread looks very bad when I open it in the 3Ds max...

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2012, 09:21:31 pm »
What did you want it in?  The hand and the model are together, sort of, but separate objects in Blender.  I think it would look a little better if the handle were textured a little different from the bow, but it looks all right to me to be honest.  Plus there are frames, so it's more than one object.  I don't know how that works, though. I can't remember which frames I sent, so it might end up a little different.  The start frame would be the same.  I think there will be plenty of modeling and texturing when he puts objects in the dungeon.  He might want to replace the bow for a final presentation, but it is a telephone game and vertices need to be kept low.  You're kind of giving me a complex here.  I don't think it's too bad.  I'm not the best at texturing, though.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:34:06 pm by fireside »

Offline Hrolf

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2012, 03:55:01 am »
OK, here's what I've got for the dirt pile in the editor;

and here's the model (26 polys).

I haven't actually tried it in jPCT - will the transparency be a problem? I tried to make it as re-usable as possible for different scales or wall/floor combos.
Also there's more than half of the dirt.png texture unused. I wondered about some ceiling stuff to use it up - tree roots maybe? Cobwebs?

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2012, 10:51:38 am »
Cobwebs might look cool. I could animate them with a simple vertex shader. I would like try the dirt pile tomorrow...but i can't unzip it. I tried three different zip-programs, but none of them can unzip that file. I download the file two times, same result.

Offline Hrolf

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2012, 05:49:23 pm »
Cobwebs might look cool. I could animate them with a simple vertex shader. I would like try the dirt pile tomorrow...but i can't unzip it. I tried three different zip-programs, but none of them can unzip that file. I download the file two times, same result.
Unzips here ok.. NM, try this one.
I'll have a play with cobwebs.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2012, 11:29:03 pm »
I've added the dirt pile. I had a lot of trouble with the texture, but that wasn't your fault. For some reason, the Android SDK refused to load the png properly... ???

Anyway, it looks like this:

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 29, 2012, 12:51:33 am »
It looks really nice.  About the only thing that stands out a little is the very straight line between floor and wall and ceiling and wall.  Don't know if it's possible, but a bevel on the top and bottom of the wall would help I think, or possibly leave a slight crack.