Author Topic: Thinking about some RPG..Android version.  (Read 245635 times)

Offline Hrolf

• int
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about some RPG..Android version.
« Reply #150 on: February 29, 2012, 01:40:04 am »
That's nice!
I agree with fireside about the floor/wall/ceiling joins though - too sharp - maybe a simple 4 poly 'corner shadow' would help?

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #151 on: February 29, 2012, 08:47:21 pm »
Adding some bevel or decoration into the corners has the problem that it has to be limited to the tile, i.e. i can't really extends it into another tile so that the bevels match where they hit without adding much complexity to the dungeon generator code. I though about adding some wooden girder which is limited to the tile at least onto the ceiling, but i'm not if that a) looks good and b) makes any sense...i'm open to suggestions though... ;)

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 01, 2012, 03:27:01 am »
They're going to be playing it on a telephone and we're looking at a lot larger screen.  It looks really good.  You could darken the ceiling and floor texture a little, but I like to be able to see what I'm doing even in dungeons. 
click here->Fireside 7 Games<-

Offline Thomas.

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 01, 2012, 06:20:48 pm »
Any video of news? :)

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 01, 2012, 11:17:39 pm »
Because nobody commented on the idea and i couldn't find a good screen shot/image illustrating it, i tried to draw them into a screen shot by hand...like so:

For simplicity, i would add them only in hallways, i.e. not in larger rooms and not in junctions or corners. What do you think...and does anybody have a nicely textured model that i could use? Maybe using a few more polygons than just a box...?

Offline Thomas.

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 01, 2012, 11:30:27 pm »
I have no fantasy for this, but if you send to me some screenshot, where is what you want, I send you model of this with texture ;)

Offline Hrolf

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 02, 2012, 02:38:37 am »
Hmm... Roof beams aren't that dungeon-like!
I'm all over the place just now (god damn PHP!) but give me a day or two and I'll try to do a 'corner softener' which should work anywhere...
I haven't forgotten the cobwebs either!

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2012, 04:29:24 am »
I think beams might add some variety.  You'll probably want to experiment with different textures and other things to add variety to the dungeons, for instance rock or dirt walls that aren't cut.  Posts and beams would probably look good with dirt walls. 

Offline K24A3

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 02, 2012, 08:16:09 am »
I've never been in a dungeon so I can't comment on those beams. However, you could change the texture of the roof to a dark wooden plank texture to blend the wall texture in a bit better. And perhaps add injected 'shadow' textures on the floor where it runs along the wall edge so the contrast between the wall edge and floor are closer.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 02, 2012, 04:31:53 pm »
Hmm... Roof beams aren't that dungeon-like!
I'm all over the place just now (god damn PHP!) but give me a day or two and I'll try to do a 'corner softener' which should work anywhere...
I haven't forgotten the cobwebs either!
Depends on the dungeon, i think. They don't have to look like wood...they could also be made of stone. I don't see, why that shouldn't fit. At least it's an option to add some variety. Not all dungeons will look the same anyway.

I'm very interested in that corner softener...albeit i'm not 100% sure why everyone see this hard transition as a problem. Just look around in the room in which you are now...i bet the transitions between walls and floors are pretty hard, aren't they?... ;)

Offline Hrolf

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 02, 2012, 04:33:07 pm »
I've played truant to have some fun instead! Besides the cobwebs I've made an L-shaped shadow to sit in the corners between the tiles and the walls/ceilings. The shadows look a bit dark here but the idea was to use setTransparency() to get them looking right. Maybe that cobweb texture could be improved also...
Models are here.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 02, 2012, 10:41:31 pm »
Added both things, the cobwebs and the faked SSAO shadows. It looks like this:

The cobwebs are animated using a simple vertex shader, but it would look better if the texturing would be reversed, i.e. if the end of the web would be where the two polygons of the plane meet.

Offline raft

• quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.aptalkarga.com
« Reply #162 on: March 03, 2012, 12:13:29 am »
looks very nice. this game started to look like a desktop game :)

Offline Hrolf

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 03, 2012, 01:21:30 am »
Oo! It's starting to look like Skyrim! That cobweb texture is way too loose though - it looks out of scale. I can easily fix the poly/tex thing for animation - should I add a few more polys to it for the animation or is 2 polys OK? Can anyone find a better texture? @Fireside: fancy a go? I'm no artist!
I do think that the corner shadows help to take away that pixelated line, but as fireside says, darkening the edges (or all) of the floor texture would do the same job without the need for those extra transparent polys.

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 03, 2012, 01:31:31 am »
I like the corner shadow and the cobweb.  Looks really good.