Author Topic: AeonRPG 3D | open source | high detail  (Read 12909 times)

Offline Minigame

• int
    • View Profile
AeonRPG 3D | open source | high detail
« on: November 23, 2014, 09:31:56 pm »
Ok so I've hoarded this for a while, mostly due to the insane amount of $ invested into asset creation.. But times change, and I'm ready to let it go, and move on.  ;D

Anyways do as you want. Everything is public domain. IT would be nice however, to if I don't see this renamed to Whatever RPG and publishing it without any content modifications..

AeonRPG3D.zip - 27.5 MB

Open the client source folder, and run Engine as a Java Application..

* Press F to toggle first person or third person camera mode
* Hold WASD (or ARROE KEYS) to move around / rotate
* Use your mouse and click buttons on the UI to do some stuff.. (interfaces aren't finished)
* Press I to spawn a random ground item
* Press ENTER when near an entity, to interact (ex. talk to npc, pick up item)
* Press ESCAPE to terminate the application

* There might be more, I forget, it has been a little while since I've worked with this project
other than adding some notes and testing things before the release.

Private Message me if you need any help (The natives and jars are in /file_storage/java/)

Edit:
If you want to add props, lights, or mob spawns to the game, it's pretty simple. The data loads from .cfg files which can be found in /file_storage/config/

Here is an example from npcs.cfg to show the easy to use syntax.. <entity id> <x> <y> <z> // comment
Code: [Select]
// lumber ridge
2, 9872.726, 90.9, 10147.348 // wizard
1, 10867.035, 90.9, 10961.692 // archer
0, 9039.265, 90.9, 10227.28 // warrior

In Settings.java you can change a few things which will effect performance and game detail.
If you want a higher frame rate, go into Engine.java -> int requestedFPS = XXX;

There are some hot keys which will teleport you to different areas of the game world, and if you press CTRL you will walk with incredible speed (all of this was for development)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:20:20 am by EgonOlsen »

Offline AGP

• quad
    • View Profile
Re: AeonRPG 3D | open source | high detail
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 06:22:01 pm »
Thanks, that's nice of you. I will have a look at it this week. But wouldn't it be funny if, as you suggested, someone sold it on Steam or something and made money off of it as is? :- )

Offline Minigame

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 01:58:14 am »
Thanks, that's nice of you. I will have a look at it this week. But wouldn't it be funny if, as you suggested, someone sold it on Steam or something and made money off of it as is? :- )

As long as they hire me as developer I wouldn't mind haha  ;D

Offline Minigame

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 11:03:04 pm »
It has been a long long long time since I released this project, and I want to warn anybody who is interested in using it that:
* this was my first actual 3D game that got far - and a lot of code is hacky and amateur
* all models and game data are loaded at startup - and therefor there is in insane amount of overhead
* distance based rendering for models causes an excessive amount of unnecessary processing and could be done better
* it's best that if you like this game, you simply download it and extract the content you want, while writing your own client application
* it would be wise that if you use this, you run the game using a batch file and limit the amount of available memory